- 1 cup Griopro® Cricket Powder
- 3 cups of the grain or seed based flour of your choice (can try using whole wheat, white, gluten-free flours, oat flour, coconut flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, Griopro® Cricket Powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and vegetable shortening for about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and beat for about 2 minutes, add in the molasses and egg. ( it’s best to use an electric mixer for this )
- Using a wooden spoon, gradually mix in the flour mixture to make a stiff dough and form large balls to roll out.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle the top of the dough with flour.
- Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick, being sure that the dough isn’t sticking to the work surface (check every once in awhile and dust the surface with more flour, if needed). For softer, chewy cookies, roll out slightly thicker.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out the cookies and transfer to nonstick cookie sheets, placing the cookies 1 inch apart.
- Gently knead the scraps together and form into another ball.
- Wrap and chill for 5 minutes before rolling out again to cut out more cookies ( easier to manage this way )
- Bake until the edges of the cookies are set and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on the sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire cake racks to cool completely.
- Decorate as you like! We used sugar stars for buttons!